Learning to Appreciate Life


   When I look into my son's eyes I notice that there is something missing.  Just a year ago he was vibrant and happy.  No one could beat him playing basketball, or playing video games.  Today he is in his own little world.  You see my son was diagnosed with autism in 2002.  From that point he has regressed in his verbal and social skills.  I always try to encourage him, but he still struggles to speak.

My other children have trouble understanding what is happening to him.  They ask me questions like "Will my brother get better?"  I believe in my heart that my son will speak again, and do the things that has brought him joy in the past.  I love to see him laugh, and have fun with his siblings.

As a parent it is very frustrating to see your child struggle to do things for himself.  I know that he is not the only child that has autism or special needs.  When I look at a child with special needs I see beauty in them.  Each child is unique, and special in their own way.

Because of my son I know that value of appreciating life.  I am learning to treasure the simple things that life has to offer.  God has a way of letting us know what is most important.  Monetary and materialistic things will quickly fade, but love, peace and joy has everlasting staying power. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Prayer On This Tuesday

Sunday Prayer

Remembering My First Love